Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Can't Make a Horse Drink.

I saw a post on a pregnancy-type site that I frequent, a signature that went along with someone's post. 'I have a black president with bronze boobies' The bronze boobies are about how long she's been breast feeding. She was black, I'm guessing full-black, not mixed with anything I suppose.

It's something that people do. Not very accurate, very slave-like. One drop rule stuff. Even though President Obama is at least one-half something totally not black. Same as what they do with Halle Berry, a full 50% not black.  Bob Marley...50% black Jamaican, 50% white. Not to denounce, but just be accurate. And not to forget, and to not be insulting to this other full half of to-be-rightfully-claimed heritage.

I know about it. I've had people try to tell me what I am my whole life. Trying to force me into their little one-drop world. And I'm like, ' what about this whoooooole, huge part, this huge half of my family over here? Slave times are over right? I don't have to count as part of massah's property stat anymore,right?'

When I saw that woman's signature, I wanted to make a completely off-subject post, just on her innaccuracy.

Just like I always want to correct and re-educate people. Not to agree with me, but just to get things right. Basically right, fundamentally correct. But you can't force people out of ignorance.

Even in my ignorance, in recent and past times, I had to get myself out.  Through my own research and my own observations. Even when truths were given, bluntly and blatently. I still had to make sure I believed, not just accepted.

I want the world to be accurate, but I've let go of trying to convince. I've re-dedicated my energy towards those who are, not those who accept being lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment